Read chapter 4 of Hermeneutics: Principles and Process of Biblical Interpretation
- Define lexical-syntactical?
- What are the three general literary forms? What characterizes each?
- What are some of the characteristics of Hebrew Poetry?
- Upon what premise is lexical- syntactical analysis founded
- Give at least two reasons why contextual analysis is important.
- Use your own words to explain the difference between denotation and connotation
- List three methods that are useful for uncovering a word’s variety of meanings.
- Within a given passage, an author intends only specific denotation. Describe the five methods useful for discerning the author’s intended denotations.
- Why is lexical syntactical analysis needed?
- How might you explain the importance of studying Scripture in conceptual units?
- What do you see as the usefulness of noting connection words between paragraphs ans sentences?
- What do you see as the purpose behind our analysis of Scripture?